Rule-1: Noun + and + noun = plural verb
- Ram and Shyam are friends.
(Exception: If two noun are joined by ‘and’ but used as a single unit in that case = singular verb. e.g. slow and steady win the race)
Rule-2: (Article) Noun + and + (Article) Noun = plural verb
- The actor and the singer have arrived.
Rule-3: (Article) Noun + and + Noun = singular verb
- The actor and singer has arrived.
Rule-4: Noun + as well as/in addition to/No less than/with/Along with/ Together with + noun = पहिल्या कर्त्यानुसार verb
- I no less than you am to be blamed for this issue.
Rule-5: Not only/Neither/Either + Noun + but also/nor/or + Noun = दुसऱ्या कर्त्यानुसार verb
- Neither the students nor the teacher is going for excursion.
Rule-6: Errors of proximity should be avoided
- the cost of new cars are rising. (wrong)
- The cost of new cars is rising. (correct)
(इथे आपण cars बद्दल बोलत नसून cost बद्दल बोलत आहोत.)
Rule-7: Each/Every/Neither/Either = singular verb
- Either of the boys are allowed to go out. (Wrong)
- Either of the boys is allowed to go out. (correct)
- Each of the students is supposed to participate in games.
Rule-8: If we have plural noun used as single subject = singular verb.
- Five million rupees is a huge amount.
Rule-9: वाक्याच्या सुरवातीला Many a आल्यास = singular verb
- Many a soldiers has meet his death on battle field.
Rule-10: वाक्याच्या सुरवातीला A great many आल्यास = plural verb
- A great many people were present at the meeting.
Rule-11: Unfulfilled condition (if, as if, as though, even if, wish) + to be form of verb = plural verb.
- She behaves as if she were my boss.
Rule-12: A number of/A large number of/ Number of = Noun (Plural) and Verb (plural)
- A large number of students were present
Rule-13: The number of = Noun (plural) but verb (singular)
- The number of absentees is rising this year.
Rule-14: जर वाक्यात दोन main verb दिलेले असतील तर दोन्ही verb च्या समोर साह्यकारी क्रियापद वापरावे
- twenty five candidates have passed and one failed. (wrong)
- twenty five candidates have passed and one has